"No longer to be poisoned by the civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost_inthe_wild" --Christopher McCandless
This community is for all those inspired by the story of Christopher McCandless, for fans of the INTO THE WILD movie and book, and for the upcoming book BACK TO THE WILD. Readers of Thoreau and those interested in wilderness living are more than welcome as well!
A quick bio on Chris McCandless: Born in 1968 and graduating from Emory University in 1990 at the age of 22, Chris donated some 24,000 dollars to Oxfam International, abandoned most of his possessions and later, his car (after it was caught in a flash flood), and headed west from Atlanta. He lived off the barest of necessities, and in some cases, off the land itself. He touched the lives of many during his travels with his idealistic view and his focus on living itself.
After a two-year trek across the country, Chris reached "the magic bus" off the Stampede Trail in Alaska in April of 1992. He was excited to at last begin his "Alaskan Odyssey". He survived in the wild for 113 days with minimal supplies before finally succumbing to starvation in August of 1992. He was 24 years old.
Chris's story became an inspiration to many, reminding us of our long-repressed desire to seek out adventure and become more self-reliant. More importantly, "The core of man's spirit comes from his encounters with new experiences."
The rules of this community are pretty simple:
* all posts must pretain to Christopher McCandless or INTO THE WILD. Posts inspired by Thoreau or wilderness living are welcome too!
* If you post graphics, pics, articles, etc., please credit the source.
* Negative comments/posts will be removed. This community is not about bashing Chris, his journey, etc. There are enough critics out there, and there is no place for them here.
* Play nice. Let's all be respectful to each other here!
* Most of all, have fun! This community is about sharing your opinions of Chris's story and how it has inspired you. A LiveJournal memorial, if you will.